The Leahy Lounge

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bobby V. deigns to speak to U.S. club

Fresh off a championship in Japan, the lounge's own Bobby V. is fielding calls from a U.S. team.

Although he has repeatedly said he's happy in Japan and plans to reinstate himself as Emperor before next season, he told the New York Post that he has had calls from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays .

"I have a great job," the disgraced former Mets manager told The Post.

"Just to manage in the States -- just to manage in the States -- doesn't have that much appeal to me. Besides, these people need me over here. Before I arrived, Japan was a rudderless, backward society. They didn't even know who I was. Imagine that?"

"If I managed somewhere that is a good fit, where I can be challenged, I might consider returning to the United States. Of course, I'd require full control of the organization, from personnel decisions, payroll, stadium vendor selection, to travelling accomodations. I like those bathrooms that sprinkle your backside with water."

Despite his small ego and slight eccentricities, only one team has shown interest so far, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The Devil Rays, just two days after gauging his interest by telephone, made Valentine one of ten finalists for the club's vacant managerial position.

Valentine, who led the Chiba Lotte Marines to the Japan League championship in a four-game sweep last week, spoke with the Devil Rays for more than five minutes Sunday.

"Watching our guys all season and the World Series on TV, I can tell you the level of play is equal," Valentine said after becoming the first foreigner to manage a Japan Series champion. "However, the managerial talent is far greater in Japan. I anticipate winning over 90% of my games should I decide to return to the states."

Valentine, who managed the Mets to a dreadful World Series loss five years ago to the Yankees, considers his latest Japanese team to be the best in the history of baseball. "It's as good a team as I've ever managed," he said. "I'd put them up against the '27 Yankees, and I know we'd be wiping Gehrig and Ruth from the bottom of our cleats."

Bobby V. would be replacing Lou Piniella, who stepped down at the end of last season after he was institutionalized.
# :: posted by Coach Leahy, 10:16 AM
|